August 24, 2013

it takes a village

You know that saying, "It takes a village to raise a child?" While I think that it is super applicable to raising children and growing up, I think it's bigger than that. I think the saying should be, "It takes a village to love a person" or something like that. It sounded a lot more eloquent in my head when I was thinking about it, but who needs eloquent when you have true, genuine love?
As some of you know from instagram (@jessnovello), yesterday was my first real day of work. I've been employed with the university since August 1st, but my residents arrived yesterday. If this all sounds very foreign to you, check back HERE where I Kristen Wiig out a bit over my new job. I have been nervous about yesterday for the entire summer. I knew that day was coming. I knew it was the day I would meet my residents, their parents, and run around like a chicken with my head cut off. I hoped that the day would go smoothly, but I was fully prepared for tears.
My tears, not the girls... although I knew that would come as well.
I received countless text messages that day from friends and family who let me know they were praying for me, affirming me in my job, and encouraging me. My heart grew fuller with each message received. What a blessing to be thought about, prayed for, and encouraged with out asking for any of it. 
What a blessing to be genuinely cared about and loved by a community.
You know what? The day went perfectly. We had a couple hiccups, but I was never stressed out. I was calm. My RA's were prepared and we took care of everything that was presented to us. I could not have asked for a better day and I really believe that the power of prayer and positivity is what made the day go so seamlessly. 
So forget about children and villages, just know that it takes a village to love a person and support them. Be a part of that village. Love on people and love them well. 
EDIT: My bestie showed up about an hour ago with spinach/artichoke dip, brie, crackers, and nail polish. UGH. SO MUCH LOVE. 
Photobucket

1 comment :

  1. SO glad that your first day went to smoothly! The Lord was watching over you girl. I hope this first semester with all the kids goes well and that you won't get too stressed out! Can't wait to hear some crazy stories!

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Jess Novello 2016