July 17, 2012

Wonderful Works

This post has been in my brain for a while. It has made its way to the pages of my journal, but after talking to a friend who was experiencing similar struggles, I decided I would post it so that maybe someone else could find encouragement in it.

My self worth has been weighing heavily on my shoulders lately. I remember writing in my diary in middle school about how I didn't feel _________ enough. 
Unfortunately, these feelings have arisen again.
You could fill in that blank with a million different adjectives and chances are that at some point in time, I have felt that way:

Not pretty enough.
Not thin enough.
Not funny enough.
Not smart enough.
Not talented enough. 

I have always been unconditionally loved by my family and friends. I've never longed for love and acceptance, but that doesn't mean that I have shown myself that same love and acceptance shown to me by others.
I have compared myself to a laundry list of unattainable traits and that is not okay.
Teddy Roosevelt is quoted as saying, "Comparison is the thief of joy" and I couldn't agree more.
Comparing myself to others, whether it be their appearance, personality, or possessions, robs me of the joy I am to find in my self worth. 
Comparing myself to another human being only shows me what I do not have and what I am not.
What I do not have and what I am not have no part of my self worth. 

My self worth comes from one place:
My Heavenly Father.
My worth is not found in my family,
how many friends I have, 
how many boys I've kissed (which is zero, in case you were wondering), 
the size of my clothes,
or any accomplishments I may have.

My worth is found in being the creation of the Creator.
There is nothing I could do to make God love me any more or any less.
Nothing.
My worth is fixed.
Set in stone.
Firm.
Unchanging.

"For you created my inmost being;
You knit me together in my mother's womb. 
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Your works are wonderful,
I know that full well."
-Psalm 139:13-14
Photobucket

9 comments :

  1. You're amazing & that's all that matters :) Also, I've never heard a truer quote before. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate your kindness!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness... what a beautiful post! That ALL women can relate to! We all need this kind of reminder. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Courtney! It had been weighing on my heart for so long and it can sometimes feel like you are the only person in the world that feels that way. I appreciate your sweet words.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post. I think everyone feels like they are not enough in one way or another. Such a great reminder that God thinks we are enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I think it's hard to come to a place where we realize our worth because everything in society is working against us, but as soon as we do, we are so free!

      Delete
  4. Loved this post. Definitely can relate to the not enough... something that has sat in the back of my head at times too. Loved reading this post xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post!
    I'm so glad you commented on my page because now I've found yours!
    This is something I'm constantly having to remind myself. It's so easy to compare and beat yourself down, but God is always there to build you back up. Life is about praising and following God, not about who is the prettiest or richest. God loves me, you and everyone else just the unique way He created us!

    Thanks for sharing! ^.^

    xoxo, jamie brooke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best devotional I've read in months Jess! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by Get Polished | Copyright Jess Novello 2016